Welcome to the website of Marjorie and Steve Gadd, musicians, publishers, music teachers and folklorists working and performing in Southern Tasmania.
This Web site has been developed to showcase all of our various musical projects in a single site.
We refer to our folkloric activity, research, performance and teaching the Tasmanian Heritage Music Project.
Our company is Valley Strings a name we use principally in relation to our music teaching and mentoring projects. Currently we teach at Franklin, and in Hobart. Feel free to contact us on 62 663446
Hear more music and see videos by Steve and Marjorie at:
Our various activities include:
- Bands; performing listening music for every situation and dance music for community folk dances including Traditional Tasmanian country dances, Bush dances , and American Contra and Square dances. We play for weddings, community events, and all kinds of private functions.
- Musical recording, teaching and publications,
- Music teaching from classical to Jazz and the blues,
- Event promotion and organization.
- Folkloric Music collecting, (The Tasmanian Heritage Music Project; Real Island Roots)
- Musical mentorship and community development projects.
Between them Marjorie and Steve feature or have featured in the following Musical Groups and ensembles:
- The Tasmanian Heritage Fiddle Ensemble and Buttongrass Serenade. Traditional Tasmanian folk dance music,
- Steve also plays with As The Crow Flies
- Shake Sugaree, Bluegrass and Old-time acoustic Blues.
- Czardas, Gypsy and Gypsy influenced music.
- Silkweed, ambient musical setting for powerful political and historical narrative ballads.
- In addition Steve and Marjorie often play original nouveau-acoustic, along with jazz, Celtic, gypsy and light classical music for atmospheric background music at weddings, garden parties and conference dinners etc.
Steve and Marjorie work closely with dancers and dance callers and demonstrators from the Tasmanian Folk Federation. In particular they have a close collaboration with versatile dance caller Dave Wanless. They can provide music and organise callers for Traditional Tasmanian, mainstream Australian Bush dancing, American Square Dances and Contras,Renaissance, Medieval, etc.